Developmental Services

A mother carries her infant.


Child & Family Consultants provide Special Needs Resources for children in licensed childcare. We also provide the following specialized services to families with infants, toddlers, and preschool-aged children in home or community settings:

  • Developmental screening and Informal needs assessment;
  • Education, support, and coaching for parents, caregivers, and childcare providers;
  • Play-based early intervention strategies;
  • Advocacy and Case management; and
  • Community-wide service planning.

Program Objectives

  • Promote early identification and intervention for children with extra needs;
  • Maximize opportunities for optimal growth and development of the child and family unit;
  • Provide family-centred service based on caregiver strengths, needs, and priorities; and within the child's natural environment;
  • Support an integrated approach to planning for Infant Development & Special Needs Resources.

Developmental Support Worker (DSW) Program

This program is designed to support the full inclusion of all children in licensed child care settings (for children ages 0-13 years); or an approved recreation program (ages 6-13 only). Support is provided based on the needs of the early learning classroom/group and available Special Needs Resources.

A Developmental Support Worker (DSW) is assigned to one or sometimes multiple children with extra needs for a set number of full or half days per week. The DSW plays an important role in helping the child achieve his/her social, developmental, and play-based learning goals.


A happy Support Worker pushes a child in his wheelchair.


School Transition

For children starting Kindergarten, the Child & Family Consultant will collaborate with the School Board (St. Clair Catholic or Lambton Kent) and the Children's Treatment Centre to support a seamless transition to school.


How to Make a Referral

Parents/guardians usually refer their children for service. Community partners (such as doctors, child care providers, etc.) can also refer a child--but only with the family's permission.

If you have questions or concerns about a child's development, or for more information on any of our programs and services, Call (519) 352-0440 (Press 2) or E-mail

Community partners may use this form to make a referral.

Frequently Asked Questions